It was a leisure day in mid Summer when Mr.Rahul & Mrs.Riya, the newly
Expecting parents came into the OPD. They wanted to enjoy their Summer Vacation across the state , and were anxious if they can travel during pregnancy!!
I examined her , checked her reports & baby position and nodded with a smile “YES”… You Can…but insisted on certain precautions to be taken.
1) Can I travel when I’m expecting?
The most common question asked! Travel in two or four wheeler, train or aeroplane are all safe in pregnancy, if safety measures are appropriately followed.
2) Can I travel by road during pregnancy?
You can! But take frequent breaks and walk a while.
Stretch your legs comfortably while sitting & wear your seatbelt below baby bump.Avoid too long travel.
3) Can I fly while pregnant?
Short haul flights are safe in low risk , uncomplicated pregnancies. Please check with your obstetrician about your risk and plan accordingly.
4) What are the important things to be done when planning a travel?
* Check with your consultant about the safety of travel.
* Carrya copy of all yourmedical records.
* Take important medications to be taken especially during travel
* Adequate hydration & ambulation are very important during travel.
* Figure out the route of travel and hospitals in the locality to meet any emergencies .
* Check the endemicity of your destination & the need for vaccination.
5) What is the best and safe time period of travel in pregnancy?
Generally, travel is safe between 4 th to 7 th month.But it’s advisable to consult your obstetrician before you plan.